Directions to Faith Chapel Faith Chapel Officers Faith Chapel Timeline Info about the Faith Chapel Cemetery Faith Chapel History Faith Chapel Staff Questions and Answers What we Believe Faith Chapel Ministries Faith Chapel Home

Faith Chapel History

The Highlights of the History of Faith Chapel Presbyterian Church 1880 - 1976 and Furnace Mountain Presbyterian Church 1917 - 1976, Compiled and Written by Eileen G. McKimmey begins, "In a part of Loudoun County between Leesburg, Virginia, and Point of Rocks, Maryland, known formerly as Lost Corner, Faith Chapel is situated.


During the early part of 1880 Mr. William Luckett, Mr. Joseph Shroy, Mr. Frank McKimmey and others began a Sunday School and Prayer Meeting in a one-room school house, Oak Hill, about two miles from the site of the present church building. Rev. L.B. Turnbull, pastor of the Catoctin Church at Waterford, preached at least monthly in the school house. On November 9, 1884, after a revival meeting held with Rev. William Dinwiddle, an evangelist, twenty names were added to the Presbyterian church. These names were added to the Catoctin Church roll but Faith Chapel was born."

Construction of the church building was chronicled by Ms. McKimmey as follows, "Messrs. Luckett, Shroy and McKimmey were appointed as a committee by Mr. Turnbull to obtain money, lumber and offer of hauling that a church might be built. Each one had faith to believe what had been started would be accomplished, so Mr. David Fry, a carpenter, was employed to build the church. When completed there was a debt of $79. On Dedication Day, August 9, 1885, an offering of $89 was received and the debt was wiped out. Because this building had been erected through and by faith, it was named Faith Chapel."

In recording the events of Faith Chapel's 90th Anniversary, Ms. McKimmey wrote, "In lieu of the Senior Citizens Dinner of 1975, a Pre-Homecoming Evening was held on June 29, inviting the older members of the community to come join us for a light supper and to bring remembrances of the church -- clippings, snapshots, or such -- to help us remember events of long ago. These remembrances were displayed at our Homecoming on the 20th of July. Many past members, friends and former pastors, Rev. William Smythe and Rev. E. Summers McGavock, came to help us celebrate our 90th Anniversary. There were over 200 people here and enough food for that many more. All the homecoming committees did their jobs faithfully and well. Everybody had much appreciation for everyone else for it was that kind of affair."

These are just a few instances in the history of Faith Chapel Presbyterian Church.

Will you be a part of our future?